Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Life and Editing Articles...

Panorama 08 is finally out and after much GooseChase, I got hold of a copy. You know, There are somethings in life that are too subtle to explain. Looking fondly at ur own name or ur own article in a magazine is one such...Anyway, without getting too melodramatic, I'll come to the point...I dedicate this post to the day when i got to edit my first magazine. Not the complete magazine with ultimate authority but hey, thats okay...So here's one about UDAYACHAL..The Annual magazine of my graduating college.

I remember how years ago when I was a young girl, one of my favorite outings were those occasional visits to a Family Friend’s office where the latter worked as an editor to a monthly magazine. One of my fantasies was to sit on all her huge king sized chairs and work amidst all those bright office stationeries. The way she went over the write ups reminded me of my teacher minus severity .The powerful A/C posed as another temptation. Little I realized that the grass on the other side is always green. And that One learns his or her lessons only after going through experiences. And believe me… I did learn mine in due course of time.

Some ten years later when I was in the third year of my graduation my teachers proposed the idea of selecting a team of student editors for the college magazine. And I was on Cloud Nine when I was selected in the team. We gladly put up notices all across the campus, inviting students to come forward with their original articles and write ups. And as articles came pouring in…I convinced myself that Dreams and fantasies do come true.

However as I started editing those articles, I realized that I have a personality disorder. The little girl who got fascinated by Bright stationeries must have descended from a U.F.O. Dreams can be taxing too. Coming to the point, well, I got ludicrousness personified as some of the articles by “prospective writers”. Not to forget the forwarded mails from their e mail inboxes that occasionally landed up as “an original article” on my desk (trust me, I took great pains to cross check them).

Yes, even though there were several original articles but there were also articles which made me realize that editing articles and write ups is not exactly the most lucrative job on the planet. For example: One of the articles held many a thought provoking statements like…


We, the People of India say that we are Indians but that is not true. We are cut into pieces in various kinds of form like Hindu, Sikh, Jains etc…

More…

The youth of India is the biggest youth in quantity in the world of any country…

Further…

Uncountable ventures and implementation of constantly approved alternatives are being cautiously framed to generate a bit warmth to the lives whose charms fail to accept the social legislations but aims to call for a passionate approach (Do not ask me for the meaning…I am still trying to decipher this code.)

Even More…

Drug Addictions occur mainly due to denials from girlfriend’s side (WOW! Cheers Girl power.)

(There was another article that came to me and the person who wrote it informed me quite comfortingly that I need not take any pains to read and edit this article since it was found posted on the internet by someone so it must be correct)

If not all at least some of the articles that fell in the above mentioned category did make me conclude that the job of editing requires a person to do a lot of homework before getting started with the write ups and articles. And what would the homework be? Well I am sure it would at least include activities like prolonged sessions with the best psychological counselor in the city, lots of yoga, meditation, and laughter therapies...And you know what...Wherever you go editing, such articles follow you.

MY BLOG MY BLOG MY BLOG

No comments: